Farm Bill Action Alert - Please Call Your Senators
This is your chance to stand up for alternatives to pesticides in agriculture. In a big push to move the 2012 Food and Farm Bill forward, the Senate is voting on 73 amendments. We are urging you to call about three pertaining to crop insurance and the Organic Cost Share Program.
This is your chance to stand up for alternatives to pesticides in agriculture.
In a big push to move the 2012 Food and Farm Bill forward, the Senate is voting on 73 amendments. We are urging you to call about three.Please make two quick calls to your Senators.
Ask your Senators toVote YES for the
Merkley-Feinstein-Sanders-Kerry #2382: Organic Crop Insurance Amendment
This amendment makes crop insurance more accessible for organic farmers.
Chambliss #2438: Conservation Compliance Amendment
(Identical to the amendment filed by Senator Cardin earlier in the process).
This amendment reattaches basic conservation requirements to crop insurance, as was the case until 1996.
Crop Insurance must be fixed to work for Organic Farmers:
- The farm safety net should work for diverse sectors of US agriculture, including organic
- Organic farmers face unjustifiable barriers to participation in crop insurance which must be removed
- The 2008 Farm Bill took an initial step in addressing these barriers - the 2012 Farm Bill must direct the USDA to develop and publish organic price elections
Vote NO for the
Toomey #2217: Repealing Organic Certification Cost Share Amendment
This amendment would eliminate the program that provides cost share (up to $750 per year per operation) assistance.
National Organic Certification Cost Share is important for all organic farmers because it:
- Keeps organic production in the US - meeting strong US consumer demand for organic with US organic product
- Keeps a diversity of farms certifying
- Maintains organic certification as a gateway to the market, as farmers grow beyond direct sales
- Encourages new entry into certified organic
- Encourages processors to certify and grow their organic production, providing Value-Added processing infrastructure for farmers
Thank you for your support!