Alternative Farming Systems Information Center
(AFSIC) specializes in identifying resources about sustainable food systems and practices in support of USDA's effort to ensure a sustainable future for agriculture and farmers worldwide.
The Alternative Farming Systems Information Center (AFSIC) focuses on topics related to sustainable and alternative agricultural systems, crops and livestock. We work to implement the NAL mission of "advancing access to global information for agriculture."
AFSIC specializes in library services - locating, accessing, organizing and distributing information - related to many aspects of alternative agriculture. Topics include:
- sustainable and regenerative crop and livestock farming systems
- ecological pest management
- renewable energy options for farms
- direct marketing practices and community food systems
- organic production, certification and marketing
- family farm and beginning, women and minority farmer issues
- crop and livestock diversification including…
- exotic and heritage farm animals
- alternative and specialty fruits and vegetables
- herbs and mushrooms
- new uses for traditional crops and crops grown for industrial production
- value-added enterprises and agritourism