How do I identify risk areas for contamination?
There are several scenarios that you might flag as at risk for contamination. Areas we often flag include:
- Facility co-storing organic and conventional ingredients
- Reuse of containers that store organic and non-organic product
- Sanitization of equipment and surface areas
- Areas where prohibited materials are stored or applied
- Equipment used for both organic and non-organic products
What do I need to know if I use a shared kitchen space?
If you use a commercial kitchen, or shared kitchen facility, you must communicate with all other users to identify their practices and materials (e.g., sanitizers) that require actions to prevent contamination. If multiple operations are producing organic products in a shared kitchen, consensus on pest control prevention methods and cleaning methods can help everyone and create consistency.
What are some contamination prevention strategies?
Each operation will need to meet unique needs with appropriate contamination prevention strategies. The first step is to take plenty of time to create best practices for higher risk areas. Common strategies for prevention include: