Optional to obtain certification

What types of operations considered are considered optional?

  • Brand owners
  • Marketers
  • Traders / brokers (livestock brokers must be certified)
  • Product transport businesses
  • Livestock transport businesses
  • Storage facilities
  • Operations that meet the USDA National Organic Program’s organic exemptions (see below)

Do I need certification if I contract other businesses to produce my organic products?

No. If you contract someone else to produce organic products for you and only sell the final product — what’s known as a “brand owner” — you do not require certification. However, your co-packer or custom manufacturer is required to be certified and to list your organic products on their certificate.

Get Forms & Documents

Download the documents and forms you need.

Access Blank Forms

Still need help?

Our team is here to assist you.

Contact Support