Using non-organic ingredients for NSF/ANSI 305
Can I use non-organic ingredients in my product?
Yes. The NSF/ANSI 305 standard allows for a limited number of non-organic ingredients to be used in your personal care product, providing:
- Non-organic ingredients make up no more than 30 percent of the product composition
- Non-organic ingredients were not produced using organic excluded methods
- Non-organic ingredients are on the USDA NOP’s National List of allowed materials (unless it is exclusively allowed for use in food applications)
- Non-organic ingredients are a non-organic agricultural input
- Non-organic ingredients are botano-chemicals
Certain non-organic ingredients allowed in the NSF/ANSI 305 standard are not allowed in the USDA NOP standard. Detail which standard the ingredient is from on your Master Ingredient List.
What documentation do I need for allowable non-organic ingredients?
Start by submitting a manufacturer completed NSF/305 ANSI Questionnaire. Depending on the non-organic ingredient you are using, you will need to submit supporting documentation.
You will need to demonstrate an organic version is unavailable by completing a Commercial Availability Form for certain non-organic ingredients:
- All non-organic ingredients with commercial availability restrictions
- All non-organic ingredients created by saponification, transesterification, or hydrolysis
- All botano-chemical ingredients
Forms & Documents
Download the above and submit it to your client service team.