Feed records

The USDA National Organic Program (NOP) requires that organic livestock feed consist of certified organic agricultural products. Feed rations may also include allowed feed additives and supplements.

What records are required for a feed audit?

Your inspection will include an audit of at least one feed ration or a component of a ration fed to a specific group of animals during a specific timeframe. Records must demonstrate that the amount of feed consumed matches the amount that was available. The audit will examine harvest yield records for feed grown on-farm and/or receipts and weight tags for purchased feed.

What information do I need to keep for feed and supplement records?

You are required to keep records of what and how much feed and feed supplements your livestock consume. For ruminants, differentiate between grazing and non-grazing season feed plans in your preferred recordkeeping system — e.g., a journal, preformatted spreadsheet or a calendar — and include what was fed to your livestock, feed date, and quantity.

What information do I need to keep for feed harvest and storage records?

Harvest and storage records offer verification that you produced enough food for your livestock. Always track harvest yields for all feed crops. Measurements may be in units that make sense for the crop like the number of bins, bales or total weight.

Records should indicate how many acres (e.g., 100 bushels per acre) were harvested to achieve a total amount. Yields and the field of origin must be recorded in your calendar, harvest spreadsheet or directly on the storage container with the date. Be sure to organize and save weigh tags for review.

What information do I need to keep for feed purchase records?

You are required to maintain purchase records for all feed and feed supplements to ensure compliance. Documentation can include receipts, invoices, organic certificates and feed labels (or accompanying documents) with all brand and ingredient information.

What information do I need to keep for calculating dry matter for ruminants?

At least 30 percent of dry matter intake for ruminants must come from pasture grazing for ruminants during grazing season(s). Unless your animals receive 100 percent of their dry matter from pasture grazing, you’ll need to document your calculations for meeting the dry matter intake rule. These records must be supported by documentation of days grazing on pasture, the length of your grazing season, and pasture rotation.

How do I need to organize feed records?

Your feed records should reflect all activities supporting your livestock nutrition program, including harvesting feed, grazing livestock, purchases of concentrates, forages, feed additives/supplements, and your current ration. Organizing this information alongside your other production records maintains ease of access for inspection and verification.

Get Forms & Documents

Download the documents and forms you need.

Access Blank Forms

Still need help?

Our team is here to assist you.

Contact Support