Resources for understanding nutritional requirements
The USDA National Organic Program (NOP) requires that livestock be fed rations sufficient to meet their nutritional requirements.
How do I know which feed rations are sufficient?
There are several peer-reviewed and high-quality sources that may help inform your decisions:
- Organic Livestock Producer Guide (from USDA NOP Handbook)
- Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle
- FeedStuffs Magazine
- Morrison’s Feeds and Feeding Reference
- Livestock, Nutrition, Husbandry, and Behavior
- Oregon Tilth Webinar: The Pasture Rule
- Oregon Tilth Webinar: Decoding Organic Feed and Supplement Requirements
- USDA National Agricultural Library, Alternative Farming Systems Information Center
- USDA National Organic Program resources on ruminant livestock feed rations:
Additionally, consulting a veterinarian and animal nutritionist may be helpful. Not all livestock animal professionals understand the ins and outs of organic feed requirements. Submit all feed rations and supplements for review and approval prior to use to avoid issues.