Purchase records for livestock
You may only purchase organic livestock from other certified organic operations or via organic auction yards.
What records do I need to keep for purchases of organic livestock?
All livestock purchase records require documentation of the seller’s and animal’s organic status:
- A valid organic certificate from the seller
- Purchase documents (e.g., receipts and shipping records) that include the seller’s name and the individual animal identification for each certified organic animal purchased, or the flock ID for each certified organic flock of poultry (e.g. pullets)
- Confirmation of payment to the operator identified on the valid organic certificate
- Regulatory animal health program tags, such as Bangs tags/USDA Silver Brite tags for Brucellosis in cattle, or Scrapie program tags in sheep
- Animal identification number tags, with or without RFID technology
- Breed registry identification numbers
- Transportation records (e.g., logbooks, etc.) showing the origin location of pick up, total travel time on vehicle, and delivery to the final destination